If you follow Zorluna on a regular basis, you’ll know that we’re big fans of using Positive Affirmations.
In fact, we love them so much that every Monday a new Affirmation of the week is posted out right here on the blog (and if you’re one of our gorgeous Goddess clique subscribers you’ll get it straight to your inbox too). If you’re wondering why we do this or even what the hell an affirmation is, let me explain…
An affirmation, by general definition is the action or process of affirming something, good or bad. When we use positive affirmations, we are purposely declaring statements of a positive nature with the aim of cultivating a more positive mindset, or what we like to call the Goddess Mindset.
Side note: In the self-growth world positive affirmations are often referred to simply as ‘affirmations’.
The mind is a powerful tool and without meaning to sound too dramatic it has a huge influence on our experience of life. When you think about it, our experiences are created by how we feel at any given time. This is usually dictated by our perception of what is going on around us, which is based on our internal beliefs and thought processes.
If our beliefs are positive and supportive, then we will think in a more positive and supportive way. If on the other hand our beliefs are more negative and limiting, then we are likely to think in a more negative and limiting way.
Let me break it down a little more… we have around 60,000 thoughts every single day, which means we’re kinda affirming things all of the time. Unfortunately, due to external conditioning many of them are of the limiting kind. Be honest, how often do you catch yourself saying something similar to the following:
“I can’t do that”
“I’ll never be able to…”
“I’m not good enough to…”
“I’m too [insert negative or limiting belief here]…”
Now Goddess, this isn’t a reflection of you and your true spirit. The truth is, most of us have been conditioned from a very young age to think and conform in a certain way, limiting our belief system of what we can and can’t achieve.
Positive affirmations are not only a great way of developing a more positive perception of ourselves (or anything else for that matter), but they can also help keep us on track with our Goddess goals. If we affirm something enough times then we eventually begin to believe it. How do you think we became such self-doubters in the first place?
With your own life and goals in mind, why not create some positive affirmations of your own? We’ve put together some Goddess guidelines below to help get you started:
- Identify what positive traits and circumstances you would like to create. This is a great way to get started with creating affirmations.Maybe there’s a goal or intention you’ve set for yourself. If so, then keep affirming it! Perhaps, there are some character traits you need to develop to make them happen e.g. self-belief. If so, then keep affirming that too. Believe that you are an amazing Goddess and that you can accomplish amazing things!
- Try to keep each statement in the present tense. By doing this you are acting as if it has already happened, even if it hasn’t. Remember, when we believe it, we can achieve it (ooh, sounds a bit like an affirmation itself).
- Always stick to positive language and avoid using negative words to affirm something, where possible. For instance instead of saying “I am no longer in debt” rephrase it to “I am abundant in my finances”.
- Keep them short and simple. Not only do you want your positive affirmations to be easy to remember, you’ll also want to be able to say them with conviction, without getting yourself tongue-tied. You’ve got to convince your harshest critic that it’s true and you don’t want to fluff it. It’s all in the delivery!
- Bonus points if you can add gratitude to your positive affirmations.I.e. “Thank you for my abundance of wealth”. Gratitude is one of the highest vibrations, and when we give thanks and are genuinely grateful for our blessings, the universe always rewards us with more. Plus, it is one of the quickest ways to feel good about ourselves and our lives.
- Put your affirmations where you can see them. The more you use them, the more effective they’ll be, but being the busy Goddess you are you might forget sometimes. A few easy and effective ways are to write them out in your diary or organiser, put them on post-it notes and place them in your daily surroundings and setting your phone so that your affirmations flash up every few hours.
- Connect with your affirmations regularly. Schedule some dedicated time each day to say your affirmations (preferably out loud, although that may not always be possible). I recommend spending at least a few minutes both morning and evening working with your affirmations. What a great way to start and end the day! And as always, if you can do more, then do more…
If you’re looking for some extra guidance and support on your self-growth journey, then come and check out JEWEL, our membership club for women who want to create more balance, bliss & brilliance within every facet of their lives. Find out more here.